Activism by Christians
Restored Relationships — international Christian alliance headquartered in the UK which is working to transform relationships and end violence against women.
The above link is no longer working but the audio file of Kroeger's talk will soon be uploaded to A Cry For Justice. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are waiting on this.
Cathy Kroeger spoke about things she and colleagues had been doing for decades to get Christians to address domestic abuse, in the USA, Canada and Russia. Kroeger was the founding president of CBE (Christians for Biblical Equality) and at the time of this talk was the President of PASCH (Peace and Safety in the Christian Home). PASCH is no longer in existence. She covers:
- domestic abuse in the Bible: Ezekiel 34, Hagar, Judah and Tamar, Joseph and his brothers
- David's adultery and Nathan's faithfulness
- the dichotomy -- many are in denial, some are trying to generate social change
- in social change, the role of the prophet is unpopular
- how to get men involved
- pastoral counselling for domestic abuse takes up more time than any other kind of pastoral counselling
- pastors with the least training feel they can handle the problem by themselves
- pastors with more training in domestic abuse work in consort with secular agencies
- in the early 20th century, evangelicals thought Prohibition would stop domestic abuse
- how CBE got active on domestic abuse, lost motivation, then got back on board
- how the World Evangelical Fellowship got a taskforce started on violence against women
- why the RAVE website was set up
- how PASCH is writing a faith-based program for the DULUTH model (Changed Men Changed Lives)
- some professions have higher rates of abuse: military, police, doctors, lawyers, judges, clergy
- the attempted suicide rate in abused women is 35-40%
- responding well to domestic abuse demonstrates the love of Christ in every dimension of life
- practical ways to talk to and help victims of abuse
- the use of 'shoe cards'
- toilet and washroom leaflets